Children’s needs are different from adults’. They are generally more active and grow out of their prosthetics faster. At Sunshine Prosthetics and Orthotics, we will fit your child with the best prosthetic for their short and long term needs, customizing it for maximum comfort and functionality. All these prosthetics shown below can be adapted and sized for children.
You can download our Guide for Managing Your Prosthesis for helpful answers to common problems.
For more information, visit our Prosthetic FAQs page.
- Stop worrying about falls – Its sensors recognize when your child is an insecure position, and during a trip or stumble, the C-Leg increases resistance to provide the support needed to recover before the fall.
- Multiple modes for multiple activities – two activity modes, set by your prosthetist at Sunshine Prosthetics and Orthotics at your request. You can program for your most common activities, such as riding a bike
C-Leg’s standing mode gives you support with your knee flexed between 7º and 70º. Just by having that flex, you’ll find you use less energy while standing. For more information on the C-Leg, visit Ottobock US website.
OttoBock has custom adapters for height and weight adjustments on children’s modular leg prostheses as well as hip adapters.
Download the OttoBock Children’s Leg Prosthetics brochure
SYMBIONIC® LEG is the first integrated prosthesis that combines a microprocessor knee and powered microprocessor ankle with proactive ankle flexion. SYMBIONIC® LEG was designed to enable users to experience greater safety, symmetry and confidence when walking, without needing to adapt their walking style or otherwise compensate for their prosthesis.
Sunshine Prosthetics and Orthotics is the only prosthetist in North NJ certified for the RHEO KNEE 3 device. The RHEO KNEE 3 provides the most natural knee function among all microprocessor knees because it continuously adapts to the user and the environment while providing perfect balance of stability and dynamics.
- Effortless swing initiation enables a smoother gait, even in crowds and confined spaces
- Advanced actuator and resistance control ensure best possible resistance, e.g. more support in stair descent and minimum effort needed in level ground gait
- Five-sensor gait detection, including new gyroscope technology, ensures stability and dynamic response in every situation
Specifically for active children. This lightweight, extremely durable aluminum knee weighs less than a pound and the Total Knee Junior has all the technology of the Total Knee at two-thirds the size. The Total Knee junior is a small version of the adult models (see video below) which offers security, natural motion, walking ease, and easy to cosmetically cover. Offerering up to 160 degrees of knee flexion makes the Total Knee junior extremely versatile and natural for children who have a broad range of very high level activities: walking, running, sitting, squatting, and kneeling activities. Download the Total Knee Junior brochure.
Specifically designed for the physical demands of a young amputee and uniquely optimized to the varied gait of a child.
Light, high-strength prosthetic designs focusing on the use of carbon fiber composite materials and smart electronics to provide sophisticated and practical solutions to the needs of lower limb amputees. This foot can be custom fitted for a child by Sunshine Prosthetics and Orthotics.
Alternative Prosthetic Services is an on-site restoration service providing custom form-fitting silicone rubber prostheses for a variety of amputations. The prostheses that they create are highly realistic in appearance, replicating each patient’s unique skin texture, color, and anatomy.